Mark Haddon (no significant spoillers)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Feb 17 07:59:20 EST 2004

> Is that the one that was an *incredibly scary* horror movie called "Paper
> House"? Brr. I didn't know that was a children's book till some time after
> I'd been frightened into seven fits by the film, and I still haven't read
> it (I have a few inexplicable gaps in my education).

That's right. The sequel is (non-fantasy) "Marianne and Mark".

"Marianne Dreams" isn't like "The Paper House" which I think has some
implication of child abuse. I remember thinking plaintively - how could they
make a children's book into an M.A. movie?

So, gaps, eh?

I got gaps.

Now and then I won't read a particular book just because. My favourite non
DWJ books are "The Perilous Gard" (Elizabeth Marie Pope) and "Polymer"
(Sally Rogers-Davidson). I'm also fond of "Good Omens". Has anyone else read
"The Black House" by Jackie French? It's a very stylish little chiller,
published in 2003. Very clever, but told in a straight forward fashion. Got
to hand it to JF...

Sallyo.