Mark Haddon (no significant spoillers)

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 07:11:55 EST 2004

Melissa wrote:

> One thing that bugged me a little was that Haddon's book was shelved in
> the
> YA section, and it seems a lot more like an adult book to me.  Next thing
> you know they're going to stick _To Kill a Mockingbird_ in there just
> because the protagonist is a kid....

I've heard it said that it's a truism in Australian YA circles that both
_To Kill A Mockingbird_ and _Catcher in the Rye_ would be published as YA
novels if they'd been written today. I suspect it's because it's becoming
more acceptable for adults to read YA/children's fiction (openly) these
days - it's more a marketing strategy than a genuine generic distinction.
Similarly, I suspect, with the decision to market Deep Secret as "adult"
and Merlin Conspiracy as "children's", which just means, on a practical
level, that I have to check both W and J in both children's (and sometimes
both the 8-12 and the teenage) and adult's sections in bookshops, when I
want to be comforted by looking at DWJ books out in the world, waiting to
find their home in someone's head.

Love, Ika

--
"There are some bad people on the rise" - Moz