The Fascination of What's Difficult

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 06:38:49 EST 2004

> Minnow
>
> I wonder whether it is that she sets herself a technical challenge, or
> whether it is that when she has the idea for whatever it is that she wants
> to tell, it presents itself in a way that needs to be done *thus* and no
> other how, as it were, and the challenge is secondary to the thing.  I
> suppose I'm wondering "which is cause and which is effect", really.

Only Diana could answer that, I suppose, but I'd be very surprised if it
weren't an iterative process in which the technical challenges both arose as
a result of the things she wanted to say, and also made her want to say
other things, which created new technical challenges, etc. In the final
product the two ought to be inseparable, I'm old-fashioned enough to
believe. (Waxing Yeatsian again: 'How can we know the dancer from the
dance?')

Charlie