Potter vs DWJ

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Feb 17 02:32:08 EST 2004

For Sally:

>> Diagon Alley...
>> I just got that.
>>
>> Ashamed,
>> Kathleen.

> Enlighten me, then :-( I didn't get it.  Die Again?

Diagon Alley = diagonally

and the third book probably tipped widdy off because: Knockturn Alley =
nocturnally

I'm so glad you didn't get this. I didn't do anything clever with this in my
translation, and no amount of clever things I did translating other terms
will placate the translation-bashers (who always spot the faults but barely
ever have a clever alternative to suggest).

BTW, you are likely to have a viral infection, as most flu-like illnesses
are viral. But if you are running a temperature, or if your sore throat
intensifies, you should consult a doctor. Also, whatever you may have read
about jacket potatoes causing diabetes should be taken with a VERY LARGE
grain of salt. If it were anywhere as clear-cut as that, it would be listed
in all the pregnancy manuals and hung up on posters in ob-gyn's offices!