DWJ in Israeli newspaper

Mon Feb 16 13:57:52 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:26:45 +0200, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>snappiness that marks her writing as well,"
>flavour I get from Dwj at all, either in the
>quoted remark or her work in general. I think she
>is sharp, yes and I admire sharpness, but not
>bitter, I think Ronit Rokas is missing Diana's
>great generousity of spirit.
>
>I went and reread the Hebrew to see if I could have translated this
>differently. "Snappiness" could have been "sharpness", even "sharpness of
>perception", but the " slightly bitter" part is definitely there. As for the
>"dark and oppressive" bit, I could have translated that a zillion different
>ways, and "oppressive" may have been too strong a word to choose. Does
>"gloomy and slightly depressed" sound much better?

Sounds like Eeyore.  I like the first way better.

I think far too many people think that being sharp is a Bad Thing and must
mean some kind of bitterness of spirit.  One of my church acquaintances is
like this--because she herself is a sweet and loving person and is never
sarcastic without suspecting herself of dark motives.  So...I don't know.
"Slightly bitter snappiness" is the kind of comment that someone could make
without meaning anything ill, but could in turn be taken by readers to be
more negative.

Melissa Proffitt