Mark Haddon (no significant spoillers)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 06:44:15 EST 2004

Minnow wrote:
> The lady whose (borrowed) copy I had been reading told me
> when I surfaced that Elizabeth Moon in *Speed of Dark* made
> a better job of writing first-person-autistic, as far as *she*
> was concerned.
> Is it worth seeking one out, anyone?

I thought it was very good. I don't know if you've read any of her other books- I like her writing, and I think this is the best thing she's done. A good story. As far as first-person-autistic is concerned, it's difficult to know how accurate it is without any experience, but the viewpoint is certainly well done as slightly alien. It's different from The Dog in being a future world, where the protagonist's condition was ameliorated as a child (I think by gene therapy) and he has become less shut away than he can remember being.
Jennifer
--
"The One Who Dies With The Most Books Wins"
(Pat McMurray in _Obsessions #3_)