The Fascination of What's Difficult

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Mon Feb 16 05:32:13 EST 2004

Quoting Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au>:

> > doing - my ars (poetica)! On the other hand, DWJ is a writer who
> continually
> > sets herself technical challenges - and when they come off (as they mostly
> > do, with her)
>
> Margaret Mahy is also an interesting challenge writer.
>
> Sallyo.

This setting of challenges in a way that futhers the story is one of things I love about Steven
Brust's books. I think this is a good reason for reading his Vlad books in chronological order -
because then it feels as though you're sharing the new techniques and ideas in the order
they were developed.  And I haven't been annoyed at him for testing out new
methods...though I'm sure if I thought about it I could certainly think of an author who has
made me impactient with their methods. But I'm too sleepy now...

Emma