DWJ in Israeli newspaper

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Feb 16 04:26:45 EST 2004

Ven wrote:

>>>  >".........Jones, with the  slightly bitter
snappiness that marks her writing as well,"
>>>I really am a bit boggled by this, its not the
flavour I get from Dwj at all, either in the
quoted remark or her work in general. I think she
is sharp, yes and I admire sharpness, but not
bitter, I think Ronit Rokas is missing Diana's
great generousity of spirit.

I went and reread the Hebrew to see if I could have translated this
differently. "Snappiness" could have been "sharpness", even "sharpness of
perception", but the " slightly bitter" part is definitely there. As for the
"dark and oppressive" bit, I could have translated that a zillion different
ways, and "oppressive" may have been too strong a word to choose. Does
"gloomy and slightly depressed" sound much better?