changing words

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at
Sun Feb 15 19:59:26 EST 2004

original poster (sorry, I've lost the attribution) said:

> Just sticking my head in really quickly...
> What some call popsicles we call "icy-poles" in
> Australia--in Melbourne, at
> least.

and Emma said:
> Not in Brisbane! I'd understand icy-pole, but we call them ice-blocks!
> Emma :)

Yes, we call them ice-blocks in Auckland as well. Lollies are the sweet
things you chew or suck such as jellybeans, smarties and minties, and
lollipops are similar to boiled lollies (toffee-like fruit-flavoured
suckable things) but on a little stick. Lollipops are often sold
individually, but lollies come in cellophane packets of 20-40(ish) or else
(at some supermarkets) by the scoopful at the bargain bins.

To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at

More information about the Dwj mailing list