Cross Genre reading.

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 15:01:27 EST 2004

--- Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:
> Most of DWJ's stuff is fantasy, but it can also come
> under the cross genre heading. I need some quotes
> from people who enjoy cross-genre, explaining WHY
> they like cross genre. I'd use first names only, and
> no identifying marks. Anyone? Someone?

I'm not sure that I could say I like cross-genre
stories as such, I certainly like some cross-genre
stories, but am annoyed by others. I could say that
its rather that I like good stories regardless of
genre/genres but that's not quite right either as I
aslo like some complete trash. I suppose it is just
that I like the stories I like regardless. In the case
of DWJ cross-genreness is part of what I like about
her. It adds to the element of suprise in her story.
With a DWJ story (unlike those of JKR) you never know
at the start of the story where it is going to be at
the end.

The only specific example of a cross genre that I
would say I like more than either of the seperate
genres that make it up is the Historical Mystery of
the Cadfael/Falco type. I very rarely read straight
mysteries and while I like historical fiction I'm more
inclined to read a historical mystery instead. Perhaps
because I also like other stories that have fun with
history like the Flashman novels, Peter Corris's Box
Office Browning books and the novels of John James,
and alternate world SF books.

Jon