Maybe you can help, minnow ....

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Feb 14 11:44:33 EST 2004

I'm in the middle of Michael Quinion's World Wide Words and he's
discussing the word 'pinchbeck'.  It's an eponym.  The family name
probably comes from a place in Lincolnshire.  He says this about
it:

"His name probably came from the place called Pinchbeck near
Spalding in Lincolnshire; that name is from Old English words
meaning either "minnow stream" or "finch ridge" (from which
we may deduce the uncertain state of the study of English
placenames)."

Although, as a birder, I would prefer 'finch ridge', I realize that
there is actually a minnow in this group who might have the
authoritative word.

[It doesn't have to be accurate, just authoritative.  ;-) ]

- If you think you're too small to have an impact,
   try going to bed with a mosquito.

                                                              -- Anita
Roddick