changing words

Sally Odgers sodgers at
Fri Feb 13 20:32:57 EST 2004

Aussie lollies are sweets in the UK (or sweeties in Scotland) and candy in
the US.


Back on the list and shaky... gottanother Bug.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kale" <lskale at>
To: <dwj at>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: changing words

> At 12:27 AM 2/14/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >Ages ago Helen Schinske wrote:
> >
> > >Oh, yes. When I was in library school I remember running across a
> > >edition of one of the Beezus and Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, and
> > >children
> > >were playing draughts instead of checkers, and eating lollies instead
> > >lollipops.
> >
> >"Draughts" I would recognise as being "checkers", but if I read "lollies"
> >would assume it was short for "ice-lollies", frozen fruit-juice on a
> I think of lollies as being short for lollipops.
> Funny, I was reading the new 2003 Greenwillow US edition of Wild Robert,
> and there's a scene with ice lollies and children dropping the wrappers
> with Mr.
> Lolly's face on it.  I don't know if there were any changes between the UK
> and US
> edition.  I like the new artwork, though, particularly Heather with her
> hair, orange t-shirt, shorts, and striped tights.  llustrations by Mark
> >and get very confused by that change.  A lollipop is I think the same in
> >England as in America, a sticky lump of sugary stuff on a stick.  That's
> >what I'd call such a thing, anyhow.  The S.O.D. 1933 says that the
> >shortening "lolly" is "Austr. and dial", for what that is worth: do our
> >Australian list-members agree, is it still in use there for that?
> >
> >What would frozen-fruit-juice-on-a-stick be called in America?
> Popsicle(tm).  Ice cream bar?
> Kale
> --
> To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at with the body "unsubscribe".
> Visit the archives at

To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at

More information about the Dwj mailing list