changing words

Kale lskale at ixaxis.net
Fri Feb 13 20:20:23 EST 2004

At 12:27 AM 2/14/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Ages ago Helen Schinske wrote:
>
> >Oh, yes. When I was in library school I remember running across a British
> >edition of one of the Beezus and Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, and the
> >children
> >were playing draughts instead of checkers, and eating lollies instead of
> >lollipops.
>
>"Draughts" I would recognise as being "checkers", but if I read "lollies" I
>would assume it was short for "ice-lollies", frozen fruit-juice on a stick,

I think of lollies as being short for lollipops.

Funny, I was reading the new 2003 Greenwillow US edition of Wild Robert,
and there's a scene with ice lollies and children dropping the wrappers
with Mr.
Lolly's face on it.  I don't know if there were any changes between the UK
and US
edition.  I like the new artwork, though, particularly Heather with her short
hair, orange t-shirt, shorts, and striped tights.  llustrations by Mark Zug.

>and get very confused by that change.  A lollipop is I think the same in
>England as in America, a sticky lump of sugary stuff on a stick.  That's
>what I'd call such a thing, anyhow.  The S.O.D. 1933 says that the
>shortening "lolly" is "Austr. and dial", for what that is worth: do our
>Australian list-members agree, is it still in use there for that?
>
>What would frozen-fruit-juice-on-a-stick be called in America?

Popsicle(tm).  Ice cream bar?

Kale