changing words

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 19:27:28 EST 2004

Ages ago Helen Schinske wrote:

>Oh, yes. When I was in library school I remember running across a British
>edition of one of the Beezus and Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, and the
>children
>were playing draughts instead of checkers, and eating lollies instead of
>lollipops.

"Draughts" I would recognise as being "checkers", but if I read "lollies" I
would assume it was short for "ice-lollies", frozen fruit-juice on a stick,
and get very confused by that change.  A lollipop is I think the same in
England as in America, a sticky lump of sugary stuff on a stick.  That's
what I'd call such a thing, anyhow.  The S.O.D. 1933 says that the
shortening "lolly" is "Austr. and dial", for what that is worth: do our
Australian list-members agree, is it still in use there for that?

What would frozen-fruit-juice-on-a-stick be called in America?

Minnow