DWJ in Israeli newspaper

Fri Feb 13 12:50:55 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:53:29 +0200, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>I find it hard to believe that no one responded to this. Is there a problem
>with the list, or am I not getting messages again?

No, and I knew I should have responded right away, because I am in the
middle of selecting awards again and this year it's just me--so I knew if I
didn't, I wouldn't get to it.  And I was right.  I even left it unmarked in
my inbox....  :(

My meta-response is actually that it's cool to get both the article and the
insights of someone involved in that publishing scene.  I hadn't thought
about the dark side of getting to translate one's favorite fantasy
books--that someone else might get to do it instead.  :)  Thanks for passing
this along.

I think I'd be ticked off if I were DWJ and had to listen to the prattling
of certain people who fell in love with Harry Potter and suddenly imagined
themselves experts on YA fantasy.  (Ripoffs, indeed.  Has everyone suddenly
forgotten how to read the publication history on the back of the title
page?)  I think she's been remarkably patient about it all.  But I'd
probably want to poke the writer of that article in the eye for that "dark,
even oppressive" line, especially in reference to the protagonists'
childhoods.  I suppose being sent to live with relatives who hate you and
make you live in a cupboard under the stairs is all hugs and puppies?

Otherwise, I thought the article was a good one.  Maybe it will drive demand
for DWJ translations in the future (though I can only hope you'll get to do
them :).  So what was the letter to the editor that you wrote in response?

Melissa Proffitt