Fructophilia

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 21:38:18 EST 2004

Charlie quoted
<What wond'rous Life in this I lead!
Ripe Apples drop about my head;
The Luscious Clusters of the Vine
Upon my Mouth do crush their Wine;
The Nectarene, and curious Peach,
Into my hands themselves do reach;
Stumbling on Melons, as I pass,
Insnar'd with Flow'rs, I fall on Grass.>

If I ever get to make my wondrous, imaginary
garden  I would want to include a section to
evoke this poem.

Minnow said

> I had a lovely experience related to Marvell
when I was doing a somewhat
> in-depth and monomanic study of the man's
poetry.  I started to witter
> about its wonders to a lad I know from Grimsby,

and after a bit he got
> that "Gosh, I know what you're talking about!"
look in his eye, and
> said, "Is this the Andrew Marvell who was MP
for Hull a bit ago?  Best
> MP they ever had, they reckon.  I didn't know
he wrote poetry,
> though...">

I worked with an Andrew Marvell, known as Andy
Marvel, best shoveller I have ever seen. Which
brings me to this site --
http://213.161.73.29/yournotme/ -- using
electoral records it tells you how many people in
the UK have a particular name. There are
apparently five Andrew Marvells of voting age.
I'm off to play with it  again now, see how many
Polly Whittackers or something.........

=====
Ven