Changing words (was Re: Checking in)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Feb 9 12:40:48 EST 2004

Charlie said...

> Was there a US children's book about this very debate, called IIRC *The Day
> they Came to Arrest the Book*? Anyone read that?

Yep.  Got it out of the library a couple of times.  IIRC, someone - possibly a
parent - throws a wobbler about the use of the word "nigger" in Huck Finn and
demands that the book be banned from use in school.  A bunch of kids, with the
support of...their English teacher I think, though it might be the school
librarian, realise how stupid this is and start organising a campaign to save
the book.

It's rather a good book; I must track it down and read it again.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long with
another person."
- Horace Walpole