dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #789

Gill Othen gill at othen.fslife.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 17:08:16 EST 2004

Charlie wrote:

Mind you, Larkin wasn't too complimentary about Coventry either ('where my
childhood was unspent', etc.). Imagine what his reaction would be if they
decided to put up a statue!<<

Actually, knowing the school now, as it was when I arrived nearly a decade
ago and as it must have been in the late 30s, I really can't blame him. His
father was a Nazi sympathiser, too - I would think he would have been glad
to get out. We have some school magazines he edited around, though, and a
meetings room is named after him, much to the disgust of the sporty
types.<g>

Gill