Changing words (was Re: Checking in)

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 21:35:32 EST 2004

Charles wrote

<Gili:
Clementines are actually
> very common in Israel, and I've almost never
seen them outside of Israel ;>

They're pretty common here in the UK. But what is

the relation of either
satsumas or clementines to tangerines? Is it
mostly to do with their place
of origin (I assume tangerines are North African,

and that if Scipio
Africanus had lost we'd be calling them
Carthagines)?

Heh heh Carthagines, I like that. The trouble
with assuming that names have something to do
with places of origin is that sometimes they may
simply refer to the last port they came through
and sometimes the link is totally obscure,
turkeys anyone?

I've always thought of satsumas as the small
baggy ones, clementines as the small tight
skinned ones and um mandarins and tangerines as
the big ones. Tescos has recently taken to
labelling both a large type and the small tight
ones as clems so I'm completely confused now.

Charlie
<I can't tell the difference, myself. And my
local
supermarket apparently
agrees, because it has taken in the last couple
of years to labelling such
fruits generically as 'Easy Peelers' or 'Soft
Citrus' (motto of the fruit
fetishist: 'In soft citrus let me be laid...')>

To be really clear what we are getting they need
some kind of labelling for the tartness/sweetness
ratio too. A few years ago they used to sell
something labelled as "honey tangerines" which
were to my mind (tastebuds) quite perfect, I'm
not sure whether they've stopped selling these or
just renamed themn.

Gili wrote

 I'm
> well practised in translating the names of
fruit, as I attempted to
> translate the opening of "Goblin Market" by
Christina Rosetti. Half the
> fruit there turned out to be different
varieties of plums, pears or
berries,
> making for tricky translation, as there are far

fewer names for these
fruits
> in Hebrew than there are in English.

I can see what you mean with the plums
(greengages, damsons, bullaces etc) but with most
of the berries the only thing they seem to have
in common is the "berry" bit of the name:
"raspberries, mulberries, blackberries,
strawberries, gooseberries and bilberries are all
quite distinct to me in terms of flavour
appearence and for that matter species and growth
type. Currants (red and black) and cranberries
are similar I think and I don't actually know
what  dewberries and barberries are. Is it that
some of these aren't available in Israel or that
they really are considered to be the same thing?
How did you handle it in the end -- green, purple
and whatever colour bullaces are plums?

=====
Ven