Changing words (was Re: Checking in)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 15:47:00 EST 2004

--- Erin McMullin <erm8 at psu.edu> wrote:
> Here's an interesting side note -
>
> People in central Pennsylvania have some strange
> names for food items.  For
> example, some of the local people call green bell
> peppers "mangos".  Isn't
> that strange??  I didn't believe it until my
> friend's father used it at
> dinner to say that he didn't like 'mangos' in his
> salad...  yup, he meant
> peppers!  Now where did that usage come from?

A fruit salad isn't done right if it doesn't have a
couple of (real) mangoes in it, I've also made a salad
which included grilled mangoes. Last summer we
stripped a friend's mango tree, it was an old variety
and very fibrous, so they ended up as mango chutney,
mango icecream, mango smoothies and mango chicken.
Here bell peppers are called capsicum.

Jon