Changing Words

Fri Feb 6 09:50:07 EST 2004

Gili Bar-Hillel wrote most helpfully:

A kumquat is significantly smaller than a satsuma, to the best of my ability
to discern. I had to use google images to actually SEE one before I knew how
to translate it...I cross referenced with dictionary definitions until I was
satisfied
that in all likelihood what most British children would think of if they
read "satsuma" is a fruit identical or very similar to one of several citrus
fruits called "klementina" (clementine) in Hebrew. Clementines are actually
very common in Israel, and I've almost never seen them outside of Israel ;

Thanks so much, Gili!  We do have Clementines in New York, they come in
little wooden boxes in December (about 12 or so to a box.)  Like a small
tangerine.  Interestingly they're imported from Europe and Israel; when I
lived in California, I never saw these, and that's because California
doesn't import them (probably protecting the native citrus crop.)  We do
have Temple Oranges; I've heard of pomelos but not seen them.  I just got a
Sharonfruit from a good grocery store - it's a small, sweet persimmon type
thing.

Alison