Fructophilia

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Feb 5 18:53:38 EST 2004

Charles Butler wrote:

two fine quotations from Marvell.

I had a lovely experience related to Marvell when I was doing a somewhat
in-depth and monomanic study of the man's poetry.  I started to witter
about its wonders to a lad I know from Grimsby, and after a bit he got
that "Gosh, I know what you're talking about!" look in his eye, and
said, "Is this the Andrew Marvell who was MP for Hull a bit ago?  Best
MP they ever had, they reckon.  I didn't know he wrote poetry,
though..."

Puts all this reading business into perspective, that sort of thing
does.

Minnow