Changing words (was Re: Checking in)

Erin McMullin erm8 at psu.edu
Thu Feb 5 15:19:18 EST 2004

Here's an interesting side note -

People in central Pennsylvania have some strange names for food items.  For
example, some of the local people call green bell peppers "mangos".  Isn't
that strange??  I didn't believe it until my friend's father used it at
dinner to say that he didn't like 'mangos' in his salad...  yup, he meant
peppers!  Now where did that usage come from?

Another interesing local food - "Chouchou" (pronounced chow-chow).  Chouchou
is a pickle mix of assorted vegetables.  I haven't actually tried it yet,
but I have a jar of home canned chouchou sitting on my shelf at home.  It
looks pretty good, but I'm a little afraid of it...

And don't even get me started on chicken and waffles!

~erin