Checking in

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Feb 5 10:47:07 EST 2004

On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 03:57 AM, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Otter wrote:
>>> - No.
>
>>> -- Rosa Parks
>
> widdy wrote:
>
>> Great sig! I had to think about it for a moment . . .
>
> It is, isn't it. Succinct.

I thought about including an explanation of the circumstances, but then
I thought, 'Nah.'

However, if there's anybody out there who's bemused by it, the
explanation on the calendar I stole it from is:

"African-American seamstress Rosa Parks, when told to move
  to the back of the bus."

Some more on this:

This is the action that precipitated the Montgomery bus boycott.  Ms.
Parks
refused to move on 12/1/1955 and the boycott started 12/5/1955.
[Montgomery,
Alabama.]  African-Americans stopped using the buses.  The boycott
lasted
until 12/20/1956 -- 381 days.  By that time, the US Supreme Court had
ruled
that Alabama's laws about segregation on buses were unconstitutional and
on 12/20, federal injunctions were served on the city and the bus
company
officials.  On 12/21/1956, a white clergyman, Glen Smiley, shared the
front
seat of a bus with Martin Luther King, Jr.

- If you think you're too small to have an impact,
   try going to bed with a mosquito.

                                                              -- Anita
Roddick