Changing words (was Re: Checking in)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 06:27:32 EST 2004

> On Wednesday 04 February 2004 16:43, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
> > no more than I knew what a "squash"
> > was.  (Still don't, unless it's a pumpkin, but those get turned into
> > lanterns at Halloween so I suppose it can't be.)
>
> I think it's a vegetable marrow.

Squashes are the American members of the family Cucurbitae. The Eurasian ones are cucumbers, courgettes/zucchini/marrows, and gourds. Squashes have drier flesh than cucumbers or courgettes, the skin is usually too tough to eat, and the seeds are in a hollow of the flesh rather than being embedded. A pumpkin is a squash. There are quite often butternut squashes in UK supermarkets these days, too, which are about 9 or 10 inches long, sort of pear shaped, and pale tan colour.
You can bake/roast them and eat as is, or proceed to mash them, eat the mash or turn it into a soup or a pie. (You can boil them and mash them, too, but I find them a bit slimy that way.) They're mostly a bit sweet- sort of the level of parsnips or sweet potatoes.
I think there's a distinction between summer and winter squashes- summer ones have thin skins and don't need very long cooking, and winter ones have to be split with an axe :)
There, wasn't that fascinating?
Jennifer