Checking in

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 20:13:36 EST 2004

Otter shared with us

< Pennac's "Reader's Bill of Rights"

1. The right to not read
2. The right to skip pages
3. The right to not finish (my favourite!)
4. The right to reread
5. The right to read anything
6. The right to escapism
7. The right to read anywhere
8. The right to browse
9. The right to read out loud
10. The right to not defend your tastes>

That's terrific I particularly like #3. I get
really irritated with people who force themselves
to finish books they dislike and then complain
about how awful it was -- just put the bloody
thing down! My own rule is that I've no
compunction about ditching something which is bad
or which I just plain hate. If its something I
want to read or thing I should read I will give
it couple of good attempts before I give in.

By the way I'm not entirely disapproving of easy,
unchallenging books. Reading Enid Blyton, for
example was very relaxing, it was nice not to be
stretched onece in a while.

=====
Ven