Checking in

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 19:49:15 EST 2004

Roger wrote

<minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>Sorry.  It's just the phrase. I'll get over it.

But what *does* it mean
>really?  That they can't, that they won't, that
they just can't see the
>point of it at all, or what?

Children who don't like to read, and don't choose

to do it. The idea is
that, if one were to stand over them and force
them to read a particular
book (more or less your classic school-level
literature course), one
could, but that won't get them to go out and read

things that they
aren't being forced to; so instead one should
find some way of causing
them to _want_ to read.

Thus far, I have no problem with it. But since
many people seem to think
that this means one should provide them with
Budweiser-books (nothing
that could be offensive to anyone, and therefore
bland beyond belief)...>

Anecdotally I've heard of quite a few male
readers who didn't take up reading for pleasure
until they were 16 or more -- ie adult or nearly
so. For this group, going straight to adult
literature,  easy books wouldn't seem to be of
any use at all. Over on the Brust list a guy has
been talking about how he never read a book all
the way through in his life -- or wanted to --
until someone described the first Taltos book to
him, he read it and hasn't stopped since. Now
Brust is not a not a simple writer at all......

=====
Ven