Checking in

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Feb 4 17:22:38 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 04:06  PM, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 01:21 PM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> When I hear that mantra about getting the kids to read *anything*, I
>> question whether the speaker even knows what he or she wants to
>> achieve.
>
> On another paw, with adults there seems to be some point to this.  I
> had a friend who was working at one of the auto companies with adults
> who couldn't read.  Their previous teacher only wanted them reading
> 'good' stuff.  It drove my friend _nuts_.  She told them to read what
> they
> wanted to read -- if it was porn, that was fine.  But READ.
>
> Your earlier point about giving kids stuff that they're interested in
> certainly worked with the son of a co-worker.  Basically he wouldn't
> read anything and nobody could really tell if he _could_ read.  Until
> somebody gave him _Sports Illustrated_ .

I've just discovered (it's been around for a while, I know!) "Better
than life" by Daniel Pennac (publ. in North America by Coach House
Press - originally in French, translated by David Homel).

It's about reading and getting kids to read. It's hard to summarize,
but it's very beautifully written (not "textbookish" at all). I'd
highly recommend it. I'm about to read it for the second time after
being pulled through it rapidly for the first time.

It contains Pennac's "Reader's Bill of Rights"

1. The right to not read
2. The right to skip pages
3. The right to not finish (my favourite!)
4. The right to reread
5. The right to read anything
6. The right to escapism
7. The right to read anywhere
8. The right to browse
9. The right to read out loud
10. The right to not defend your tastes

> - No.
>
>                                    -- Rosa Parks

Great sig! I had to think about it for a moment . . .

blessings

widdy

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with
the universe.
Dr. Beverly Crusher

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net