Checking in

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Feb 4 17:06:19 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 01:21 PM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> When I hear that mantra about getting the kids to read *anything*, I
> question whether the speaker even knows what he or she wants to
> achieve.

On another paw, with adults there seems to be some point to this.  I
had a friend who was working at one of the auto companies with adults
who couldn't read.  Their previous teacher only wanted them reading
'good' stuff.  It drove my friend _nuts_.  She told them to read what
they
wanted to read -- if it was porn, that was fine.  But READ.

Your earlier point about giving kids stuff that they're interested in
certainly worked with the son of a co-worker.  Basically he wouldn't
read anything and nobody could really tell if he _could_ read.  Until
somebody gave him _Sports Illustrated_ .

- No.

                                    -- Rosa Parks