Checking in

Wed Feb 4 14:48:12 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:08:16 +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:57:00PM -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>Now I'm mostly irritated because, though I appreciate the
>>tactics I learned, I think the number of reluctant readers is vastly
>>overestimated and the net result is that some kids are being coddled
>>unnecessarily.  Little twerps.
>
>The aspect of this that I most often meet is "it doesn't matter if the
>language is lousy, the plot is derivative and the grammar is
>unspeakable, as long as the kids will read it".

I'm suspicious of this myself because I have yet to see actual proof that
this approach really does lead to making them better readers (which is the
justification given).  I have heard anecdotal evidence from a few people who
claim to have seen it happen, but as far as I know nobody has actually
researched the results of giving kids crappy books to read.

Melissa Proffitt