Pulling together a bunch of threads

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Feb 4 10:24:39 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 08:37  AM, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 07:19 AM, Otter Perry wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 02:31 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any correlation between this and a preference for subtitles
>>> over
>>> dubbing, I wonder?
>>
>> I certainly prefer subtitles to dubbing.  Two of the films by that
>> studio that's
>> doing Howl have been released in the USofA dubbed:  Princess Mononoke
>> and Spirited Away.  [They may all have been released dubbed, for all I
>> know -- those are the only two I've seen.]  However, I got them on DVD
>> which offers dubbing as an alternative and that's the only way I
>> watch them.
>
> ... which offers _subtitles_ as an alternative ....  [It's early here.]

Although . . . the English version of Mononke was written by Neil
Gaiman. It is quite wonderful actually.

The think I love about subtitles is catching "errors" (or "changes" if
you want to be more charitable). I remember watching "La Femme Nikita"
(the original French movie, not the Bridget Fonda remake) and noticing
this little change:

Nikita has told her boyfriend that she's working nights as a nurse at a
hospital to cover for the fact that she's actually going out and
assassinating people. He asks how she can work in that environment and
still come home smelling so wonderful. In French she responds "C'est
une secret du femme" (I've written that down incorrectly, I know) -
which to me translates as "It's a woman's secret". The subtitles say
"That's my secret." The latter has an entirely different meaning and
would only serve (I think) to raise suspicion. The former is still
ambiguous, but designed to defuse the question.

Ah well. I still remember seeing "Das Boot" in the theatre in Canada
(with subtitles) and rejoicing in the fact that I recognized so many
German words. I was taking German in highschool at the time!

widdy

Eight blunders of the world that lead to violence: wealth without work,
pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce
without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice,
politics without principle, and rights without responsibilities.
Mahatma and Arun Gandhi

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net