Pulling together a bunch of threads

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Feb 4 09:19:51 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 02:31 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

> Is there any correlation between this and a preference for subtitles
> over
> dubbing, I wonder?

I certainly prefer subtitles to dubbing.  Two of the films by that
studio that's
doing Howl have been released in the USofA dubbed:  Princess Mononoke
and Spirited Away.  [They may all have been released dubbed, for all I
know -- those are the only two I've seen.]  However, I got them on DVD
which offers dubbing as an alternative and that's the only way I watch
them.

One of the most irritating pieces of dubbing I've ever run across was
Mad Max.  When it was released in the USofA, before Mel Gibson was
famous, it was felt that it should be dubbed from Australian English
into American English.  They didn't change the dialog at all, as far as
I can remember.  But for _years_ it was the only version available that
was compatible with my equipment.  At last there's a DVD that has
the original soundtrack.  Phew!

- If you're living like there's no global warming,
   you'd better be right.