Pulling together a bunch of threads

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 4 05:10:59 EST 2004

Charlie:

>It was going to be on-topic and
>>  all, as I was thinking this while cooking Aloo Gobi from the recipe
>>  on the DVD of Bend It Like Beckham - the only film I'd seen with
>>  Jonathan Rhys Meyers, mentioned by people here as a possible actor to
>>  play Howl.
>
>Oddly enough Aloo Gobi also makes an appearance in the book I'm reading at
>the moment, Mark Haddon's *Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time*.
>The autistic protagonist likes it but since he refuses to touch anything
>yellow he adds red food colouring before eating. Yum.

:-)  Mine's a rather muddy red anyway, as I've upped the amount of
tomato in the sauce.  Not the most attractive thing I've ever cooked,
but no need for food colouring, happily!

>One thing I liked in Meera Syal's *Anita and Me* was the way that she
>reversed the usual assumptions by spelling out the the Black Country
>pronunciation of the heroine's neighbours phonetically, while leaving the
>Indian family's speech in Standard English. Can't lay my hand on the book at
>the moment, so I'm not sure if Indian words were italicized.

And oddly enough again, I also read _Anita and Me_ recently.  The
Indian words were italicized in it.  It was interesting reading the
two books fairly closely together, as both protagonists were only
children in Indian families, and both in communities with few other
Indian families.  (Or at least Dimple was one of only two in her
school.)  One book was set in the States, the other in the UK.

>(FWIW, I'd infinitely prefer a
>>  glossary than changes.)
>
>Is there any correlation between this and a preference for subtitles over
>dubbing, I wonder?

Not necessarily in my case, at any rate!  I just hate needless
changes made to books.  Along with most everyone else here, it seems.

Hallie.