Pulling together a bunch of threads

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 4 04:00:42 EST 2004

Guess I was the only one who saw Ven's subject line and thought,
'Yay, a thread about food again!'  :)  This mostly happened because I
had *just* been thinking it'd been ages since we'd had one, and had
contemplated starting one myself.  It was going to be on-topic and
all, as I was thinking this while cooking Aloo Gobi from the recipe
on the DVD of Bend It Like Beckham - the only film I'd seen with
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, mentioned by people here as a possible actor to
play Howl.

Bend It Like Beckham led me to a book I just finished, _Born
Confused_, by Tanuja Desai Hidier.  I really enjoyed it, especially
the depiction of the very loving family, which is what reminded me
most of BILB.  I wasn't entirely convinced by some of it (the
romance, for example), but noticed a very DWJ-like theme of the need
to learn to perceive how other people might feel, and how your
behaviour can seem completely different when viewed from outside
(Ogre and Christopher Chant being the first two to spring to mind).

Finally, pulling in the language thread, in an interview on ACHUKA,
the author talked about her appreciation for the fact that her editor
agreed not to make her italicize Indian words (as it's first-person
narrative, and it didn't seem to fit), and not to make her put a
glossary of unfamiliar words in the back, but to trust readers to
pick up the meanings from the context.  Both seem to me to work well
in the book, though I'm not at all as convinced by the omission of
quotation marks for dialogue.  (FWIW, I'd infinitely prefer a
glossary than changes.)

Anyone else read it?  I'd love to hear how other people felt about it.

Hallie.