Changing words (was Re: Checking in)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 19:02:10 EST 2004

Roger:
> My copy (1978 printing of the 1968 Puffin paperback, i.e. a British
> edition) begins "It was a dark and stormy night in a small village in
> the United States".

I guess someone's thought better of it, because in my Puffin Modern Classic
edition (1995) it's just 'It was a dark and stormy night.'

Which, incidentally, I used to think was a line invented by Charles M Schulz
for Snoopy - but I learned the other day (what you all no doubt already
knew) that it comes from a Bulwer Lytton novel, *Paul Clifford*.

I like *Ex Libris* too - and sometimes play it with my students in the last
week before Christmas. Do they give you an old (pre-decimal) British
halfpenny in the American version (to decide whether you're going to write
the first or the last line)?

Charlie