Changing words (was Re: Checking in)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Feb 3 18:38:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Emma Comerford wrote:
|Not completely sure, but think I read that the first line of L'engle's "Wrinkle in Time" was
|changed from "It was a dark and stormy night" (at work so can't check) to "It was a dark and
|stormy night in a small American town". That's a weird change in my opinion...

And if it's true, how sad!  That's one of the Great First Lines, up
there with "Where's Pa going with that axe?"

Bah.

Has anyone else ever played Ex Libris?  It's a game published by the
Bodeleian (I am not taking the time to look up the spelling, lazy me)
though I bought it in an American game store.  Basically it's the
dictionary game with first and last lines.

The dictionary game is the game which you play with the dictionary
(preferably the compact-not-concise OED and a magnifying glass), paper
and pens, and some friends.  It got turned into a board game.. was it
Balderdash?  With the definitions?  I can't recall, because I never
bought it.  Why, when I own the compact-not-concise OED and a magnifying
glass?  :)

-deborah
--
"Buffy, duck."