Smarter than the average, um, bear (was Re: Checking in)

Tue Feb 3 18:12:14 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:54:16 +0100, Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Tuesday 27 January 2004 05:25, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>> It *is* rude, made worse by the fact that most people who do this to
>> me have exactly no idea they are being rude.  They seem to think of
>> it as coping with inadequacy or, I don't know, giving you a
>> compliment.  I'm not kidding.
>
>The times I've had it done to me it stopped me letting on that I knew
>anything at all in that company. I *especially* hate it when it's
>coupled with Gratuitous Use of First Name ("you always know so well,
>Irina").

Ooooh, I hate that one too.  But I also hate feeling restricted--because I
do tend to watch my language :) around Certain People and I resent it.
Grrrr.  And there was this one time in a church women's meeting where we
were defining words and every time I referred to etymology to make the
meaning more interesting, there was this one woman who "corrected" me by
giving a more conventional definition.  I think she was afraid I was leading
everyone into apostasy.  :)  (This woman is kind of strange.  Very nice, but
she seems to be worried all the time that I'll take offense at something
she's done or said.  I can't tell if it's me or her.)

>> (on that note, did I mention we nicknamed our new kitten Wee Mad
>> Arthur?)
>
>Ooh! Is he ginger? And what will you do when he grows up to have the
>figure of Henry VIII? (like our tomcat, whom (!) we prophylactically
>called Hendrik, and now he *is* the same shape as said monarch)

Hee hee.  When he gets that big, I hope he will be more sedate than he is
now.  His real name is Art (and yes, he is ginger--looks washed out next to
our gloriously orange female tabby Velvet) and he's completely insane at
times.  He will attack things that are lying peacefully inert on the floor.
He will leap out at people who are twenty times his size and look surprised
when he can't take them down.  This morning he tried to savage a dangling
vine on the other side of a thick pane of glass.  I observed him one day
pouncing on a piece of paper, playing with it for two seconds, then doing a
backflip to attack another piece of paper that was sneaking up on him, and I
had a vision of him nutting some other cat in the skull, so....  It was
later that day that I put "Arthur" and "Art" together and realized how
clever I was.  :)  The kids love it and have shortened the nickname further
to "Wee Mad."  (Now there's an example for that thread about British words
in American fiction.  *My* kids know that "mad" has two meanings.)

Melissa Proffitt