Checking in

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Feb 3 18:08:16 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:57:00PM -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>Now I'm mostly irritated because, though I appreciate the
>tactics I learned, I think the number of reluctant readers is vastly
>overestimated and the net result is that some kids are being coddled
>unnecessarily.  Little twerps.

The aspect of this that I most often meet is "it doesn't matter if the
language is lousy, the plot is derivative and the grammar is
unspeakable, as long as the kids will read it". I can't help feeling
that a similar attitude to food has helped produce the grossly
overweight children now so common in the UK as well as the USA, and I
suspect that fatheadedness may be a related consequence...

Roger