Checking in

Erin McMullin erm8 at psu.edu
Tue Feb 3 13:12:11 EST 2004

I almost never write in, but this is a subject that's been bugging me for a
while, specifically the "American" language editions of the HP books.  I
find it disheartening that publishers feel the need to Americanize the
language in the HP books - I think it reveals a pessimistic attitude about
the ability of american kids to learn, not just british english words (like
'jumper' and 'lorry') but even words that are found in american english but
just aren't as common.  For example - satsuma is a word in american
english - it is a smallish citrus fruit kind of like a clementine.  Maybe
not every american kid knows the words for all the varieties of citrus
fruits on the market, but shouldn't they be given the benefit of the doubt
on their ability to ask someone about an unfamiliar word??

By the way, when I was a kid and just starting to read DWJ books, the
british english was part of what fascinated me - so many new words!!  And in
the time before I learned that a jumper is a sweater, I imagined so many
fascinating articles of clothing that could potentially be a 'jumper'!

~ Erin