Checking in

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Feb 3 10:03:15 EST 2004

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at 05:34 AM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Gili wrote:
>
>> As there is a single
>> word/phrase which differs between the two editions and actually makes
>> difference to the translation (divergent spellings and use of
>> synonyms don't
>> really affect my word choice in Hebrew), I say I translated from the
>> British
>> edition, thus satisfying the readers that my translation is more
>> faithful to
>> the original. The word, by the way, is "satsuma" in the British
>> edition,
>> "large walnut" in the American, and describes an object wedged in the
>> left
>> nostril of a very unhappy witch.
>
> For goodness' sake, is the satsuma unknown in America?  That's a
> sorrow for
> the whole continent!  I knew that the American publishers of *Aunt
> Maria*
> asserted that Americans knew not of meusli and wanted that changed to
> some
> proprietary brand of cereal, but since I can easily live without meusli
> that didn't bother me so much.  No satsumas.  What a deprivation.

Well, I knew about satsumas, but I have no idea why.

I know about muesli, too.  There used to be a perfectly wonderful
brand available at the grocery stores; there may still be, but I don't
tend to spend much time in that section now.

The only thing that routinely turns up in books from Britain that I
have to double-think is 'pavement'.  I can usually remember to do
it, but, as everybody no doubt knows, in the USofA 'pavement' is
where the cars are supposed to be, and the 'sidewalk' is where
pedestrians are supposed to be.