Checking in

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 07:34:58 EST 2004

Gili wrote:

>As there is a single
>word/phrase which differs between the two editions and actually makes a
>difference to the translation (divergent spellings and use of synonyms don't
>really affect my word choice in Hebrew), I say I translated from the British
>edition, thus satisfying the readers that my translation is more faithful to
>the original. The word, by the way, is "satsuma" in the British edition,
>"large walnut" in the American, and describes an object wedged in the left
>nostril of a very unhappy witch.

For goodness' sake, is the satsuma unknown in America?  That's a sorrow for
the whole continent!  I knew that the American publishers of *Aunt Maria*
asserted that Americans knew not of meusli and wanted that changed to some
proprietary brand of cereal, but since I can easily live without meusli
that didn't bother me so much.  No satsumas.  What a deprivation.

Come to that, a walnut would be much more painful, being hard, than a soft
satsuma.  If stuck up the nostril.  One is funny, the other is nasty.

The things I learn by being on this list!  Maybe we should send relief
parcels of satsumas from parts of the world where they are known?

Minnow