CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Thu Dec 30 11:12:25 EST 2004

> (Not that I'm arguing that it's extraordinarily open-hearted to
> believe that non-Christians can be saved--I'm a non-Christian
> myself--but it's one reason why I find Lewis so fascinating.)

Much more openhearted than Methodist Sunday School in the late
fifties/early sixties, where I had my final breach with the Church
through a Sunday School teacher who was adamant that Socrates and Plato
were going to hell for the crime of having died before "Jesus came to
save us." Of course I had been reading Religio Medici at the time (led
thereto by Dorothy Sayers), so it wasn't entirely my idea to bring up
Socrates - but I was really shocked at the response.

> it's something about the way each one feels about Aslan that decides
> their fate,

or whatever image of the Good they have in their hearts, which may or
may not have any obvious resemblance to Aslan? It might even look like Tash?

In one of Lewis's theological essays (sorry, it's been a long time and I
don't have the book any more to give a precise reference) he envisions
Hell as being simply that part of the afterlife inhabited by people who
can't bear being near God - either they can't give up their
preconceptions, or they can't admit their faults, or whatever. This
always seemed to me much more believable, not to mention reasonable,
than the fire-and-brimstone hell I heard so much about growing up in the
Bible Belt, you know, "God's gonna toss you in the eternal fires for
everlasting torture if you tick him off in any little way." Who'd want
to worship a God like that? Cringe before it, maybe. Not worship.

--
Margaret Ball

It's finished! The bead embroidery book is here. Lots of pretty pictures at
http://www.flameweaver.com/embeadery.html