teachers

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 29 22:17:55 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Ika wrote:

> Deborah asked:
>
> > ObDWJ: Which DWJ teacher would you want teaching you?  Mr.
> > Wentworth, Mr. Crossley, Corkoran, Flury, Dr. Wilander, Miss Bell,
> > and on and on?  For me, Flury, no question.
>
> Chrestomanci Chrestomanci Chrestomanci...
>
> Ahem. Sorry. But seriously, I think he'd be an excellent theory
> teacher,

Really? I seem to recall he was a terrible theory *student*.

So was Cat, come to think of it, and for much the same reason.
(Enchanters do it instinctively[1], so they don't *need* the theory.)

-snip-
> Oh, though, my Head of Department is exactly like Corkoran - a
> charismatic careerist who strolls into lectures, talks off the top
> of his head for an hour, tells the students a lot of lies*

-snip-
> *Sample: "In Greek, there is the same word for 'writing' and
> 'painting'. That word is 'pharmakon'."

If that's a genuine example, do you mind telling the Greek-deprived
among us what's wrong with it?

----
[1] Stop sniggering at the back, there!

Paul