8DoL spoilers was Re: the Kalevala was Re: reviews (but not of MC)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Dec 26 22:34:27 EST 2004

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 09:07 AM, Belben, Philip (( Generation
)) wrote:

>> I read _The Eight Days of Luke_ and discovered that
>> my paperback didn't have the helpful explanatory
>> notes at the end.
>
> Nor does my hardback!  Can you elaborate on this?

Never let it be said I don't remember a question.  [Actually, you can
say it all you like, but this message has been sitting in my mailbox
for a year, waiting for me to find my copy.  Think boxes in the garage.
Think *lots* of boxes in the garage which the teenage stepchildren
had built into walls to make two bedrooms out there.  The one has
just moved into an efficiency apartment in Telluride, which saves
her all kinds of commuting time.  And I can get at various boxes.]

Spoiler space

The part that was omitted from the paperback I bought to replace my
hardback [since gotten back, packed, and found] is entitled
'Afterword' and starts:
----
The strange people who come in search of Luke are all gods.
They are usually called the Norse gods, though they were once the
gods of England and Germany, too.  Anyone who has noticed who
these people are will probably also have noticed that each god
arrives on his or her own day.  For the days of the week are mostly
named after these gods, and in this sense they are still with us.
----
It goes on for two pages and includes lots of crunchy goodness.
If somebody is stuck with an edition that doesn't include this
Afterword and who wants the complete text has but to say so
and I will provide it.