Tracking

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 21 17:07:49 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 04:22:21PM -0500, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
> My arguments is that the gifted kids will usually figure *something* out
> on their own, and the less gifted won't, but that's not always true.
> And true isn't always fair.

It's not only that it isn't fair to the gifted kids, it can actually
be doing a real disservice to them because they will not necessarily
have the opportunities or resources to find enrichement on their own.
Particularly if the teacher is not at all sensitive to the variations
in intelligence and insists on everyone paying attention to the lesson,
whether or not they would be better employed working ahead or on another
project.

Intelligence is not like a box that is a certain size and that's the box
you have.  It's more like a balloon with a huge potential.  If
un-nurtured and un-challenged, it will wither and cease to expand or may
even decrease (this last is most true of the elderly).  If challenged,
it will expand in response. As it is, humans generally only use a small
portion of their brains. The environment, particularly the educational
environment, in which we reside has a huge effect on our development of
our potential abilities.

Allison