Deus ex machina

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Dec 21 09:15:51 EST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, [iso-8859-1] Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

Kyla said:

|>I feel that Chrestomanci comes in enough before the end of the book that
|>it's not a "whoomp! oh, look, all our problems are solved on the
|last
|>page" thing; and, in fact, it *was* the kids who solved the
|problem.

Yes, that's why I'm fine with in it Witch Week.  Chrstomanci gives them
the space to figure out the problem and solution on their own.  But the
idea, initiative, and power all come from the kids.

|but I think the reason I react so strongly to
|Witch Week is that his presence is in no way set up by the plot itself -
|he's very much external to it.

I can see the lack of setup, although I think the Chrstomanci multiverse
is integral to the plot.  I suppose any multiverse situation would have
worked, but Chrestomanci is the key figure in DWJ's multiverses.  Which
I think is what aggravates you, no?  :)

|I'm a bit surprised that someone who usually
|forms her stories in such an intricate way can also give this "my head is
|pastede on yay" feeling.

And anyone who gets that reference is a big geek.

-deborah, big geek
--
What is an 'evil shape', I wonder?  Could a triangle be evil, for
example?  Are some kind of triangles decent and God-fearing,