Deus ex machina

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 07:23:14 EST 2004

>I feel that Chrestomanci comes in enough before the end of the book that
>it's not a "whoomp! oh, look, all our problems are solved on the
last
>page" thing; and, in fact, it *was* the kids who solved the
problem. They
>just needed someone to tell them their world was wrong, in the real and
>true sense, not the sense that every misfit kid has had at some point.
>Sometimes there really does have to be a competent adult, and I think
DWJ
>does a good job of showing that, amid all the neglectful or undependable
>or shifty or just plain bad adults, there are some good ones.

Well, I've never been very fond of Chrestomanci as an adult (his
child-raising is horrid, IMO), but I think the reason I react so strongly to
Witch Week is that his presence is in no way set up by the plot itself -
he's very much external to it. Which is to some degree true of many of the
other Chrestomanci stories as well, though I think he fits *somewhat* better
into Magicians of Caprona and The Sage of Theare. But he *is* rather random
in a couple of stories, and I'm a bit surprised that someone who usually
forms her stories in such an intricate way can also give this "my head is
pastede on yay" feeling.

Katta