Deus ex machina

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Dec 21 07:11:37 EST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

> OTOH, Chrestomanci is most *definitely* a Deus ex Machina in Witch Week, and
> it has driven me batshit every time I read it. I'd much rather that the kids
> had come up with a solution on their own.

I feel that Chrestomanci comes in enough before the end of the book that
it's not a "whoomp! oh, look, all our problems are solved on the last
page" thing; and, in fact, it *was* the kids who solved the problem. They
just needed someone to tell them their world was wrong, in the real and
true sense, not the sense that every misfit kid has had at some point.
Sometimes there really does have to be a competent adult, and I think DWJ
does a good job of showing that, amid all the neglectful or undependable
or shifty or just plain bad adults, there are some good ones.