Deus ex machina

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 02:43:12 EST 2004

>Chrestomanci -- obviously -- in CL, WW, MoV (if I remember right),
>the Sage of Threar, Carol Oneir's 100th dream.

I don't think Chrestomanci can be called a Deus ex Machina in Charmed Life
or Carol Oneir's 100th Dream, since he's integral to the story there. The
point of a Deus ex Machina as I see it isn't whether or not it's a powerful
person, but that it pops out of nowhere by the end of the story when the
situation has become incredibly complicated, and solves it all in a moment.
So "Oops, we just won the lottery" or "Hey, look, that bird just flew in
with the missing will in its beak" could be Deus ex Machinas too, depending
on the situation. (If it's properly set up and foreshadowed, it's not a Deus
ex Machina.)

OTOH, Chrestomanci is most *definitely* a Deus ex Machina in Witch Week, and
it has driven me batshit every time I read it. I'd much rather that the kids
had come up with a solution on their own.

Katta