CS Lewis

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Dec 20 16:41:24 EST 2004

Charlie said...

> There's also the dedication to LWW (which I do have to hand): 'My dear
> Lucy,
> I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realised that
> girls grow
> quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales,
> and by the
> time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you
> will be old
> enough to start reading fairy tales again' [and the rest - is this still
> printed in the
> modern editions, btw?]

It was certainly in the Puffin editions I had in the 70s (and still have,
albeit utterly battered!) - the ones with plain-coloured spines and Pauline
Baynes illustrations on the fronts and backs.  It's also in the gorgeous
huge all-7-in-1 centenary hardback edition I have; I know because I'm busily
rereading it in consequence of this discussion.

(And oddly enough, what strikes me as most offensive in the books now is the
notion that though Narnia is not a country for Humans, it is a country to be
ruled by Humans - horribly colonial.)

Dorian.